Lemongrass is a type of grass grown and used widely in many tropical regions. It’s very common in the Thai, Cambodian and Vietnamese cuisines. It has a mild citrus flavor – hence the name. It’s usually used as an herb and flavoring in curries, soups, and curry pastes. It’s also popular for tea. Lemongrass tea is an aromatic healer with a great deal of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents for prevention and healing of chronic as well as acute disease.
Taste of Lemongrass
Delicate, but yet exotic, light citrus essence, mixed with a fresh and grassy aroma.
Health Benefits of Lemongrass
• It is a good source of vitamins A, B family, C, folate, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and manganese.
• It has many beneficial medicinal properties including:
- Febrifuge – Reduce fever
- Insecticidal – Used to kill insects
- Analgesic – acting to relieve pain
- Antipyretic – prevent or reduce fever
- Astringent – To make the skin less oily
- Sedative – Promoting calm or inducing sleep
- Slightly Diuretic – Causing increased passing of urine
- Galactagogue – Promotes or increases the flow of a mother’s milk
- Antiseptic – Preventing the growth of disease-caused by microorganisms
- Carminative – Preventing the accumulation of gas in the alimentary canal
• Lemongrass promotes healthy digestion. It has antiseptic compounds that effectively kill bad bacteria and parasites in the digestive tract.
• The high potassium content in lemongrass also helps lower and regulate blood pressure.
• Lemongrass tea helps cleanse and detoxify the body. The diuretic nature of lemon- grass helps remove toxins.
• The cleansing properties of this herbal tea help purify the liver, kidneys, bladder and pancreas.
• Lemongrass has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help your body cope with coughs, fever, cold and flu symptoms.
• The citral found in lemongrass causes apoptosis in cancer cells without damaging healthy cells. It causes the cancer cells to commit suicide.
• The antioxidant properties in lemongrass tea help lower the risk of cancer by fighting free radicals.
• Due to its anti-inflammatory & pain-relieving properties, lemongrass helps treat arthritis, rheumatism, osteoarthritis & other types of joint pain.